.

Random observations, teachings and musings of a well trained cubicle superhero.
http://j1.ca

Saturday, November 24, 2007

November 24, 2007

A technology lover's guide to holiday shopping

Tech Mate
techyJay, a.k.a. “The Cubicle Superhero”, is a self-professed tech junkie with a passion for music and culture Email Jay

As the Christmas season approaches, techies nationwide are furiously dropping hints to loved ones about the toys they "can't live without." There's no shortage of techno-wonders this season, and, with Canadian prices harmonizing with their US counterparts, those marvels are becoming (slightly) easier to justify to the spouse. What better resource than my own LiveCoach peers, who live and breathe tech, to help weed out the fluff from my list o' fun?

My top picks are below, based on the following highly technical categories; fun-osity, gadget value, and lastly, way down the list, necessity and day-to-day usefulness, a.k.a. "How did I ever live without this?"

Fun-osity
The Nintendo Wii is winning the console wars. Why? Because it's the most fun to play. I like video games, but I'm not really a gamer anymore. Video games kind of passed me by after the days of Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64. Any requirement for memorized weapon maneuvers or combo-punches leaves me totally uninterested. In fact, I think I peaked at "double-tap makes sonic spin-real-fast."

But at a party recently, a friend had Wii Sports and Wii Boxing hooked up their projector. I had a blast! To me, that's what video games should be. Okay, you hardcore gamers, ease off...there are some serious titles that should satisfy you too. Its wiilly a wiinner!

However, wiitail outlets are having trouble keeping wiis in stock. It's a wiil problem. Okay, I'm done. Sewiiously (now I'm really done).

Back over at Sony's camp, flagging sales have lead to a surprising $100 price drop for Playstation 3. If there's a Linux wunderkind or an aforementioned Frag Monster on your holiday shopping list, you may want to check it out. Guitar Hero 3 will play on the PS3 (and Wii), which I picked up for the (still popular) PS2. IT ROCKS!

Gadgety Goodness
If you ever watched The Jetsons, you have always wanted to own a robot to do your cleaning. Well, now you can. The Roomba won't provide witty conversation like Kit from Knight Rider, but it actually does a pretty good job. Even the stodgy New York Times loved the new version. Ruggedized parts and beefed up components make this little guy a treat to use.

We "lab-tested" a basic unit back at Cube-Headquarters and although a little noisy (it is a vacuum, mind you), it did an excellent job of meandering its way around the condo. I appreciated its utilitarian features, namely, its ability to navigate beneath a dining room table, and mind its boundaries using the provided fake wall modules. The better half loved how it "sings" when you turn it on, and how it returned to its "bed" when it got "sleepy." Humbug.

Back over at mission control, Logitech's gorgeous new MX Air Mouse is working double duty as my regular mouse for computer work, and as the mousey remote for my Media Centre. A long time user of the Gyration line of (you guessed it) gyroscopic in air mice, these little babies let you zip your pointer to the top or bottom of the screen by just tilting your arm. Mmmm...that's solid laziness!

How did I live without this?
The promise of ubiquitous downtown Toronto WiFi looked great on paper, I have to admit. I support Rogers’s services but I am totally unbiased when it comes to good tech. I would be the first to rave about it if it was convenient and reliable. From my trials though, service is very inconsistent.

Adding to the problem, depending on what building or conference centre you are in downtown, Onezone and other public hotspot services seem suspiciously unavailable, while the venue’s ludicrously priced but not-so-ludicrously fast WiFi beams brightly.

There are a number of wireless access point options where I work (downtown Toronto), most are pretty sketchy. I've tried many of them and have been double-charged, blocked out and generally dissatisfied. It's not an idea you haven't heard before, but Rogers Portable Internet fills that gap where public or hotspot access points fall short.

Although you'll need to carry a modem with you, as long as you have a plug available you are good to go. A clever man once said the essence of good technology is the user never having to “make it work” for them. That's what I get with this service; it's fast, reliable and just plain works. Tossing a small modem into my laptop bag isn't such a big deal when I know that I can get to the web whenever and wherever I need it.

Look for me at local restaurants looking under tables for electrical outlets. I'm happy to do it, too...now I can charge my laptop, get online and chow down on some cheap Chinatown fare all at the same time. Sweetness!

I know it was a quick tour, but if your wee (wii?) ones are at the age where they're reprogramming, rather than tickling Elmo, or if you're fishing for a "gift" that you can "both enjoy," look no further than the surefire winners listed here.


Printable View Send to a friend
Bookmark and share with:
Yahoo! Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Facebook
www.flickr.com
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Support http://folding.stanford.edu/

website statistics
Archives