.

Random observations, teachings and musings of a well trained cubicle superhero.
http://j1.ca

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Journeys through VoIP


An unabashed superfan of VoIP, having worked with three (sigh, yes 3) VoIP start-ups, I finally found the time to read the specs on the Sipura 1001
The device is impressive. I knew I was going to need a decent hardware phone to play with the codecs that interest me, but no Canadian providers allow for the open tweakery I was looking for. I've previously reported that I have had phenomenal success with Stanaphone and an old leftover USB handset from my last gig. Stanaphone gives you a free (NY area) real, PSTN (regular number) that you can use to accept FREE and unmetered incoming calls. Outbound calling is 2.5 cents/min USD (like 3cents CDN), but extra features such as free voicemail to email, forwarding with web interface and fax->email all free up the value considerably. I still believe (although dropping paypal was a bad move) that Stana's pre-paid and no monthly fee is the smartest pricing structure for timid VoIP newbs.
So yeah, I have this service I still have an account balance with, and a SIP device with broadband internet. What I needed was a more practical Canadian telephone number to make the system work for me. I located a Canadian (Embrun ON) company
Unlimitel that sells Canadian DID numbers. Basically I was thinking I would buy a phone number and redirect calls to the US number. What eventually ended up happening was; I registered my device with their full SIP server to use them directly for incoming calls on the Sipura's second line. On the first line I set up Stanaphone account and used them for my outgoing calls.
So IN with the ON Unlimitel number and OUT with the Stanaphone number...all worked well BUT.... I lost the voicemail. So for an additional 5/month CDN, I added no answer transfer to my line with Unlimitel.ca and it will roll to an alternate Stanaphone number which I never log into, and therefore goes straight to voicemail. The Stanaphone voicemail system is set to send the wav file of my voicemail to one email address. I made that an alias email account at my domain, and forwarded the message to both a webmail account I check frequently and to my cell phone's SMS email address. Within a minute or so of someone leaving a message my cell gets a txt with the callers name, number, and voicemail length. I can then decie to call back or check the message from any computer. The next step is to see if a dittybot type app is capable of calling me to play back the wav. So right, the device was expensive but the day I received it,
Voxilla.com opened it's freight and import tax free Canadian store at http://store.voxilla.ca/product.php?productid=16150&cat=248&page=1/
COSTS: Of course there is the prohibitive cost of the Sipura device, but that can be recouped in a few months when you consider even Sprint service is like $35/m with only 1 feature. With my setup my line is locationless, I can plug in the Sipura wherever I find ethernet and still get my calls and vmail is always available by email. I get the following features configurable way beyond what a normal telco would allow: Call Display, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Voicemail to email, Fax to Email, Call Return (auto redial), and Speed dialing.


  • $50CDN balance on the Unlimitel account to cover local INBOUND calls @1.1cents/minute (over 4500 min with no expiry)
    (edit: transfers to the US Voicemail will cost you 3cents/min CDN usually only one min, unless some is sending a long fax)

  • $2.50/month CDN for the Toronto Phone number

  • $5/month CDN for the forwarding out to the Voicemail system (Unlimitel no answer transfer) With research I'm sure this could be configured on the Sipura itself.

  • $5USD ($6.10CDN) balance loaded to the Stanaphone account to cover the cost of Outgoing calls 2.5c/min (thats 200 minutes, and again that balance doesn't expire)

    The other Stana account I use for voicemal is free. The rest of the magic is just tireless configuration research. It works perfectly, quality is phenomenal and I'm completely satisfied with the gear. Monthly cost $8.63CDN with tax, setup cost $157.43 with tax. The device I own and can use it with any service.

  • May sound like alot but over 12 months with all fees and taxes in=21.75/month. Still cheaper than the most basic of home service. My use is to compliment my cell when charging or out of range, this may not work for your scenario.
    www.flickr.com
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Support http://folding.stanford.edu/

    website statistics
    Archives